Saturday, March 5, 2011

Review: Interred With Their Bones

Interred with Their BonesInterred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fans of Dan Brown, rejoice! Here’s a fast-paced mystery that’ll hold your attention. The scholar is a Harvard-educated authority on Shakespeare, the goal is to find the long-lost manuscript and may be even find out the true identity of the legendary poet. There’s murder, a handsome stranger, cryptic letters serving as breadcrumbs showing the way and friends who may be enemies and vice versa.
It is a satisfying read that keeps you turning the pages despite all the many Williams of Shakespeare’s time that are so hard to keep track of. I enjoyed the fact that it was written in the format of a play with acts and interludes and that the villain wasn’t who I thought it was (oh, I believed myself so clever!). I think I would have enjoyed it more if the author gave us glimpses of the villain along the way, the way Dan Brown does. This device serves to speed up the pace and with the entire story done from the perspective of the scholar it got bogged down in the academic explanations a couple of times.
All in all it is a very good debut novel and I can only hope that the author will write another soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment